Choosing a uni course can be difficult, especially if you have no idea what you want career path you want to go in. Here’s some, hopefully, useful ways to decide a course.
- Make a list of the subjects that you enjoy
This way you’ll know what possible courses you could do. Once you have done this try to shortlist them so you only have 2 or 3 subjects that you’d definitely want to do.
- If you have a career in mind pick a degree that’ll help you get there
I want to be a primary school teacher so I’m planning on doing Primary Education. However, if you know where you like to be but not how to get there use the website Best Course 4 Me as it allows you to select your career and then gives you course options.
- If you’re stuck between 2 courses; do your research
If they’re similar or you can do a joint course in them (for example, History and Ethics or Sociology and Education). This means you’ll be doing two subjects that you enjoy.
- Do something you like
There’s no point in wasting 3 or 4 years of your life studying a subject that you don’t enjoy so make sure that you pick something you love otherwise you’ll be wasting your time as well as £9,000 a year!
- Make a spreadsheet of all of your options early
Make a spreadsheet that includes every single option you have. This way you’ll be able to compare each option/course on one screen.
- Ask yourself these questions:
- What are you passionate about?
- What do you want to achieve with your 3 years at uni?
- Do you work better academically or vocationally?
7. Ask your parents and friends for advice
BUT do not let them make the final decision for you. It’s your life, your future and your choice.
I hoped these helped some of you and sorry for the random uploading days. I’m trying to post once a week but usually I have a mid week crisis (like my last post) and I want to share my thoughts with you.
Anyway, I hope you’re settling into A Levels/Uni/GCSEs okay, let me know if you need to talk. I’m always here!
For more advice use the links below: